About the Presenter :
Professor Jackie Arendse – B Acc H Dip Tax M Acc (Tax) MTP(SA) CA(SA)
Jackie is a sought after presenter of tax seminars for tax practitioners, accountants and the general business community. Jackie Arendse is the Head of the School of Accountancy at the University of the Witwatersrand and serves on various professional committees. Jackie chaired SAIT's National Technical Committee until 2010 and if formerly the Project Director : Tax at SAICA. She continues to advise professional bodies on technical tax issues and has represented SAIT and other professional bodies in liaising with SARS, National Treasury and the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Finance.
Jackie is well known as a leading expert in tax and her many articles on a broad range of tax matters have been published in a variety of business journals and newspapers.
The new Dividends tax will be implemented on 1 April 2012. Make sure that you know about all the implications of this new tax and the associated administrative requirements, which are going to be onerous!
This seminar will cover all the relevant Dividends Tax legislation and will be structured to incorporate in-depth case studies to help you to understand all the practical aspects of managing and/ or advising on the new tax.
Your attendance will also give you 4 valuable hours of CPD.
Background and transition from STC to Dividends tax
· Key definitions: "dividend”, "foreign dividend”, "contributed tax capital (CTC)”, etc
· How to establish the CTC opening balance and what records must be kept by companies
· How the dividends tax will be levied
· Exemptions· Dividends in specie· Low interest loans
· Treatment of STC credits· How to claim refunds· Rebates
· The dividend exemption and exemption for foreign dividends
· Headquarter companies· Non-resident companies· Liquidation distributions· Capital distributions
· Share buy-backs
· Passive holding companies
· Implications for trusts· Specific anti-avoidance provisions
· The removal of the value extraction tax (VET) and what this means for companies and shareholders
· Treatment of close corporations, co-operatives and not-for-profit companies· Administration considerations
Who Should Attend
Tax practitioners, directors, business owners, advisors, auditors, accountants, bookkeepers and anyone else involved in company administration, business management and taxation.
SAIT Members R850.00
Affiliated Members R900.00 (includes SAIBA, SAICA, SAIPA, ACCA, IAC, ICB, FPI, CSSA, LSSA, FISA) members
Attendance will secure 4 hours verifiable CPD points, including other professional bodies
(i.e. SAIBA, SAIPA, SAICA, ACCA, IAC, ICB, FPI, CSSA, LSSA, FISA)