Print Page   |   Report Abuse
VAT AUDITS
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2015/06/12 at 07:58:20 AM GMT
VAT AUDITS

I recently submitted a VAT return for my client and SARS had requested for a verification. The documents were uploaded immediately and 21 days have passed and there has been no correspondence from SARS regarding the outcome. I understand from the TAA that if SARS does not resolve the matter, they should refund you plus pay you interest at the applicable interest rate. Please let me know if SARS has ever lived up to this and if anyone have had a similar experience. Thanks

2015/06/18 at 08:22:29 PM GMT
Section 45 of the Vat Act provides that SARS has 21 business days not 21 days to make a vat refund, subject for example , to the taxpayer providing relevant information if refund audited, all his Vat returns are up to date (including income tax returns ,Employees Tax returns etc).So provided the taxpayer has met SARS’ requirements (as indicated above) in terms of Vat Act and Tax Administration Acts, the taxpayer is entitled to be paid interest after the 21 business days have elapsed. The important issue is that adequate and complete records are kept to support returns submitted and that a detailed record of a particular taxpayer’s dealings with SARS regarding any audits undertaken is kept and retained.
The taxpayer is entitled to have his refund finalised timeously,failing which matter can be escalated to structures within SARS branches, SSMO and Tax Ombud.
SAIT has SARS escalation lists on its website and SARS does have information on its website relating to Vat refunds and complaint procedures.
Hope the above helps.

WHY REGISTER WITH SAIT?

Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO REGISTER

The Act requires that a minimum academic and practical requirments be set to register with a controlling body. Click here for the minimum requirements of SAIT.

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal