Print Page   |   Report Abuse
Trading Stock Valuation (s 22 of the ITA)
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2012/07/06 at 10:06:00 AM GMT
Trading Stock Valuation (s 22 of the ITA)

Hi,

I have a question on the valuation of trading stock.

The company acquired property, stock etc. in 2005. As a result of the purchase price, a negative goodwill was raised against the stock figure.

As far as I understand, the Act mentions that stock should be valued incorporating general accepted accounting practice (section 22 (3A)).

My question is should I be excluding negative goodwill in my stock cost of sales?

Regards

Guy Patron

2012/07/16 at 06:15:12 PM GMT

A negative goodwill seems to indicate that the company acquired a business at a bargain price.

That being so, did the agreement of sale stipulate separate amounts for each of the assets purchased in terms of stock, m/vehicles, furniture etc.etc.

If so, I think that the amount specified for stock acquired would represent the purchase price even if the market value for the stock acquired was(at the time) significantly greater than its cost to the company.

Also refer Broomberg on Tax Strategy (Lexis Nexis 4th edition) Chapter 4 and in particular from page 45 onwards.

2012/07/20 at 10:26:17 AM GMT
Trading Stock Response

Hi,

Thank you for your opinion. The stock was property held for resale and each property was costed / valued individually.

I will look at the referred text book as well.

Thank you and regards

Guy

WHY REGISTER WITH SAIT?

Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO REGISTER

The Act requires that a minimum academic and practical requirments be set to register with a controlling body. Click here for the minimum requirements of SAIT.

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal