Print Page
News & Press: SARS News & Tax Administration

Do you offer tax advice for free?

04 June 2013   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: Ingé Lamprecht
Share |

Author: Ingé Lamprecht (Moneywebtax)

How the regulation of tax practitioners will be policed.

JOHANNESBURG - Individuals who offer tax advice and services free of charge do not have to be registered with one of the controlling bodies recently recognised by the South African Revenue Service (Sars).

Kyle Mandy, head: national tax technical at PwC, says the regulations around the registration of tax practitioners provide an exclusion for persons who are providing advice without receiving any consideration.

But it will also depend on the number of clients that such an individual has, adds Benjamin de Klerk, Sars specialist in the tax practitioner unit. 

"If you have quite a number of clients and you are doing this for free, we are obviously going to raise some questions," he says.

De Klerk says in cases where the practitioner is giving advice in exchange for something that could be converted into money, he or she would also have to register as a practitioner.

To read the full article please follow the link here.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal