Tax Ombud job opportunity
12 January 2015
Posted by: Author: Office of the Tax Ombud
Author: Office of the Tax Ombud
INTERNAL/ EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
Job Title: Ops Specialist: Tax
Position Reports to: Manager: Office of the Tax Ombud
Organisation: Office of the Tax Ombud
Location: Head Office in Pretoria
- To provide support and specialist advise in simple to complex tax matters.
- Develop and implement research methodologies and techniques which enable monitoring and reporting of research and analytical activities.
- Collect all outstanding information and documents required to process complaints.
- Ensure that completed work adhere to relevant policies, procedures, governance and legislative requirements and report on deviations & discrepancies.
- Correctly apply policies, practices, standards, procedures and legislation in the delivery of work outputs.
- Perform operations in a specialised area to technical specifications and contribute to operational result delivery within predefined standards.
- Use practical and applied knowledge and judgement to arrive at decisions.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with peers and OTO role players to achieve predefined objectives.
- Apply practical and applied knowledge and act authoritatively on methods, systems and procedures to identify trends and potential risks.
- Provide reports with recommendations applicable to area of specialisation.
- Maintain professional interaction and ensure ethical dealings with stakeholders at all times.
- Drive own performance & provide specialist support & advice to achieve specified objectives against required targets, deadlines and quality standards.
- Integrate new knowledge attained through formal and informal learning opportunities in the execution of your job.
- Adhere to specified standards, policies and procedures to prevent wastage on resources and escalate associated risk.
- Provide authoritative, specialist expertise and advice to internal and external customers.
Education and Experience:
- Qualification Type: Bachelor`s Degree or Advanced Diploma
- Academic Field: Accounting, Taxation, Audit or any related Business Studies
- 5 years' experience in Taxation / Accounting / Audit environment within at least one of the tax disciplines
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- Support and implement good governance in area of responsibility
- Determines taxpayer liability and ensures compliance
- Ability to create reports for various OTO stakeholders as relevant, in a lucid and effective manner, keeping in mind the purpose of the reports
- Understands and able to apply SARS auditing policies and procedures
- Must be able to display and build the highest standards of ethical and moral conduct in order to promote confidence and trust in the organisation
- The ability to take all relevant details into account to ensure that a task is completed to required standards
- Tax Knowledge
- Knowledge of own organisations, policies, procedures, services, products and business operating model
The Tax Ombud was created by sections 14 and 15 of the Tax Administration Act, No. 28 of 2011 (TAAct). Mandate of the Tax Ombud is to review and address any complaint by a taxpayer regarding a service or a procedural or administrative matter arising from the application of the provision of the Tax Act by SARS.
The Tax Ombud is appointed by and reports directly to the Minister of Finance. The term of office is three years and can be renewed. The role is independent of SARS and its mandate executed impartially.
The Tax Ombud plays a unique taxpayer complaints resolution role and aligns with the Public Protector; both exist to ensure administrative justice by being a check on the exercise by government and its agencies of their authority. In the case of the Tax Ombud, its focus is SARS.
Apply online before 20/01/2015.
Please click here to apply online.