Print Page
Tax Practitioners' Forum
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Rental of Share block Unit 0 K. du Toit Good day. My client own, together with 2 family members 170 shares in a Share Block Company (Registered PTY LTD with CIPC) (157 for flat 7 and 13 for Garage 31). They rent out the flatlet, pay monthly Levies and the rental income is received in my client's personal bank account. According to me they own shares in the company and does not own the flat and garage itself and cannot share in the rental loss? I did a Deed Search and do not pick up the property registered in either of the 3 family members' names. Am I right to say they need to forward a breakdown of the rental activities to the Share block Company to disclose and account for in the Company's financials?
by K. du Toit
Saturday, 30 November 2019
Deregister as a Provisional Taxpayer (Individual) 3 O. Coetsee I have done that but when submitting returns it still shows porvisional tax payer. I have read on SARS that you don't actually de-register you just tick but it does not work
by O. Coetsee
Thursday, 14 November 2019
Tax benefits gained from offering scholarships and bursaries 1 C. Van Niekerk please assist, with the new changes regarding the reimbursement codes, 3702 is no longer subject to tax, but all the IRP5s I have worked on this code is still included as taxable income and also is deductible.Need some clarity on this
by S. Nkosi
Wednesday, 30 October 2019
Tax treatment of dividends received by companies 1 F. Joubert please assist, with the new changes regarding the reimbursment codes, 3702 is no longer subject to tax, but all the IRP5s I have worked on this code is still included as taxable income and also is deductible.Need some clarity on this
by S. Nkosi
Wednesday, 30 October 2019
Multiple SARS eFiling login names linked to ID number 3 L. Fortune 'Just following up whether you have been able to resolve the "Multiple SARS eFiling login names linked to ID number" issue yet?
by L. Hartzenberg
Monday, 07 October 2019
Clients who have registered themselves for e-filing 2 H. Schuster Thanks Andries but these are foreigners on short term contracts and I prefer not to move them to my profile.
by H. Schuster
Tuesday, 16 July 2019
Lumpsum Directives / ROT / Assessment withold due to verification 0 G. Arnold Hi to all. I am functioning within the Retirement administration space and an a ASISA work group 3 member. I was wondering id any of my fellow tax practitioner have experienced difficulties with submitting assessment? Since July 2017 we need to request more full transfer directives and also get the receiving entity to confirm receipt of the transfer monies. This process of confirming has huge backlogs and SARS informed the industry (Retirement Funds) that assessment might be stopped if the verification step is outstanding. Did any one experience any difficulties where your clients have transferred a lumpsum?
by G. Arnold
Monday, 15 July 2019
E-filing Feb 2019 year - Travel Allowance 0 S. Stewart Morning, I am trying to capture the motor vehicle details for my client after selecting "travel allowance" in the Wizard, but the e-filing form does not allow me to select "yes" when I get to the travel claim section, and I cannot capture any other details. Can this be logged with SARS via SAIT if it is an issue or can someone advise? I have already tried de-selecting the travel allowance in the Wizard, saving, and then selecting again, but that hasn't changed anything. Thanks in advance.
by S. Stewart
Monday, 08 July 2019
Individual PAYE return not retrievable 2 K. du Toit I'm struggling to register new taxpayer, the problem is where I've to select taxpayer groups. Please help
by S. Manyanye
Saturday, 06 July 2019
Efiling issues 1 S. Khan I have found that its best to first save the return before you try printing it. Choosing PRINT you will loose the data you typed in. The system is also a bit slow to respond so be a bit patience.
by T. Labuschagne
Friday, 05 July 2019
Medical expenses paid for parents 0 N. Naicker Greetings, what is the procedure for medical aid that is paid jointly for parents by siblings. Child A and Child B pay 50% each of their parent medical aid but the total amount comes out of Child A's bank account. Child B reimburses Child A sometimes in cash and sometimes via bank account. Who is allowed to claim medical tax credits and what proof is required if amount is paid in cash?
by N. Naicker
Wednesday, 26 June 2019
Outstanding Debt 4 C. Chauruka Please consult TAA and more relevant solutions can be utilized
by S. Malaza
Monday, 03 June 2019
Paying for Admin Penalties via Standard Bank 1 Z. Meyer With regards to SARS payments initiated through eFiling, I have given up on Standard bank. Tired to escalate the matter via Standard Bank and SAIT, but no person in S/B seem to know how the link must be acitvated. All other have a very easy process, load payment on eFiling and client log-on and approve. Standard bank clients just can not get it to work. Thus, they make the payment themselves and I provide them with the reference number. I have not had any client coming back to say the reference number is too long. What is important that they select the correct SARS account. As for reference number changing, have not noticed that. Amount owing changes with interest added every time a statement is requested.
by R. Oberholster
Thursday, 07 February 2019
VAT on tour operator commission 1 I. Meaker Seems you are referring to a supply which has for example elements of standard rated and zero rated/exempt supplies". Refer sections 8(15) and 10 (22) of Vat Act.Refer paragraph 13.5 pages 114 to 115 of SARS Vat 404 Guide for vendors.Hope this helps.
by M. White
Sunday, 25 November 2018
Turnaround time review/audit prior to 2018 tax return 0 R. Esterhuyse Good Afternoon, We have a number of clients which had outstanding tax returns for years before the 2018 tax return/season. We have submitted these returns in July 2018 but to date the review / audit has not been completed. When we query this with the callcentre the response is that preference will be given to 2018 reviews/audits and no turnaround time can be provided for years prior to 2018. The callcentre says this is according to the service charter, is this correct and is the only option to lodge a complaint with the tax ombud? Thanks Rob
by R. Esterhuyse
Tuesday, 09 October 2018
Trust - donation from loan account back to trust 0 K. du Toit Good day, I have a client who is a trustee and beneficiary of a trust. His loan account in the trust was about R200 000 in 2018 .The account suggested with keeping in mind that the Trust will never be able to pay back his loan account, that he donates R100 000 per year back to the Trust over 2 years. He received a IT144 (donation of cash R83 876.30 and interest R16 123.70) and according to the email they send him, It is a tax deduction for 2018. The Trust is not a registered PBO and no sect 18A receipt is in place. Please assist. According to me it can not be a tax deduction on his personal income tax.
by K. du Toit
Sunday, 30 September 2018
s42 Asset for Share transaction 0 A. van Tonder Good day, I have a query in terms of s42 Asset for Share transactions. Here is the scenario, Person A personally owns 25% of the shares in a private company "B" (Purchased for R25 15 years ago) and a market value of R100m. If they then establish Newco (with 100% shares held by "A" Family Trust) and do a Asset for Share Transaction where A transfers his shares in "B" to Newco and becomes a full time employee of Newco. What is the practical application to utilise the s42(1)(a)(i)(B) full time employment exemption in this case? Ie. does the salary he earns in Newco need to equate to the market value of the shares previously held by him over a period or is the salary earned independent of the transaction?
by A. van Tonder
Monday, 03 September 2018
Provisional tax transfers 0 J. Dunning Hi Has anyone had any transfer requests declined when requesting a transfer of provisional tax from one period to another? We have had a request declined when we requested a transfer from a 2017 3rd to the 2019 first. SARS response is as follows: "Kindly take note of paragraph 28 read with paragraph 29 of the Fourth Schedule to the Income Tax Act ,58 of 1962, which provides that no refund of any amounts of provisional tax shall be made to a taxpayer unless the amount of provisional tax in respect of any year of assessment for which the taxpayer's liability has been assessed by the Commissioner exceeds the amount of the taxpayer's liability for normal income tax. Should you read any contradiction to the above in any provision of the Tax Administration Act, 28 of 2011 (TAA), kindly further take note of section 4 of the TAA, which provides that where that Act is silent with regard to the administration of a tax Act and it is specifically provided for in the relevant tax Act, the provisions of that tax Act apply. " Does anyone know if SARS has now decided to stop allowing transfers of provisional tax from one period to another?
by J. Dunning
Thursday, 23 August 2018
Deceased Estate- Reassessments 0 L. Maguire Hi all, I am assisting with a deceased estate. SARS have reassessed returns dating back to 2002 resulting in tax payable between 2002 and 2009 of R16232.59 Is this acceptable? I would have thought it fell outside the prescription period?
by L. Maguire
Wednesday, 25 July 2018
Relocation Allowance 0 C. Sitotombe Good morning. I have a client who was paid an upfront amount for relocation allowance (moving to East Africa). I need to know if he can claim the expenses that he incurred. The allowance was just a lump-sum, fall under code 3713 but the client did keep receipts for flight costs, temporary accommodation etc. Also the client rented out his house but on his move back he to fix the damages caused by the tenant as well as a huge electricity bill, can he claim for this as well. Thanking you in advance.
by C. Sitotombe
Tuesday, 10 July 2018


Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal