Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

How can I claim input VAT erroneously not claimed a year ago?

Friday, 29 May 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: How can I claim prior period input VAT erroneously not claimed? And for how long can I still claim it, because my returns are almost a year.

A: Though s16(3) VAT requires deduction of input VAT in respect of supplies made in that period, proviso (i) to this section provides that any amount of input tax which was deductible and has not so been deducted may deducted in a following period but limited to a tax period 5 years after which the tax invoice for the supply should have been issued. You will therefore be entitled to claim the input tax on qualifying supplies even after 1 year has elapsed in any period prior to the end of the 5 years by adding it to your input tax claims for that future period.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal