Print Page
News & Press: International News

Ireland: Just two weeks left to claim your tax refund

Tuesday, 18 December 2012   (0 Comments)
Posted by: SAIT Technical
Share |

By Charlie Weston (Irish Independent)

Executive summary

Irish householders are reminded that the time limit for claiming tax refunds is four years. Any refunds due for 2008 should therefore be submitted before the end of this month. Claims can be made for medical expenses, tuition fees and service charges incurred in 2008.

Full article

HOUSEHOLDERS have been warned that they have just two weeks to claim tax refunds.

"There are a variety of ways in which you can claim back some of the tax that you have paid, provided you take action before December 31," said Rory Meehan, partner at accountants RSM Farrell Grant Sparks.

The time limit for claiming a tax refund is four years. This means that any refunds due for 2008 should be submitted before the end of this month.

"You should make a claim for any medical expenses, tuition fees, service charges, incurred in 2008 before December 31."

Taxpayers can get back 20pc on health expenses in a tax year.

Families can also get tax relief at 20pc on tuition fees for college paid to an approved college for an approved course.

Mr Meehan said that anyone who has received a lump sum or redundancy payments of €200,000 or more can claim 'top-slicing relief'.

Workers with a pension can make an additional voluntary contribution on or before December 31 and get relief at source if paid through payroll.

Self-employed people can also claim relief on pension contributions, which if made up to and including October 31 next year qualify for relief against 2012 income.

From January, the self-employed will no longer get a tax credit for making a charity donation.

Up to the end of the year, the self-employed can claim the tax relief in their 2012 tax return.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal