Print Page
News & Press: Taxbreaks

Foreign Expatriates In SA: Who Is Liable For The SA Tax?

Sunday, 23 January 2011   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: Elzahne Henn
Share |

Foreign Expatriates In SA: Who Is Liable For The SA Tax?

Income earned here is taxed here—unless a Double Tax Agreement states otherwise

An increasing number of foreign nationals employed by multinational companies are accepting assignment s or secondments to South Africa. But what income tax liabilities do they have, and what obligations does SARS impose on their employers?

As non-residents for tax purposes, expatriates can only be taxed on income from a South African source. The source of income from employment is located where the services are rendered—irrespective of where remuneration is paid, where the contract of employment was concluded, or the currency in which payment takes place.

Generally, income earned by expatriates for services rendered in South Africa is subject to tax. There are no tax advantages to paying their salary into an account outside of SA.

Expatriates must lodge income tax returns in South Africa, and pay the tax on their income from a South African source. Those who fail to do so run the risk of incurring penalties, interest, and additional tax.

The provisions of a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA)between the expatriate's home country and South Africa must, however, always be considered, as some short-term assignments (less than 183 days in a 12-month period) may be free from tax in South Africa.

Generally, DTAs provide that where all remuneration is paid by a foreign employer and not paid from the profits of a South Africa base or branch, any remuneration paid to expatriates who perform services in SA for less than 183 days in a 12-month period will be taxed fully in the foreign country, and no SA tax liability will arise.

When it comes to withholding tax from remuneration, employers(or representative employers) are only obliged to do so if they are a South African resident. A South African agent paying expatriates on behalf of a non-resident employer is regarded as a representative employer.

Where expatriates are assigned to a South African entity and paid by a foreign employer, it is necessary to examine critically whether the South African entity can be regarded as a representative employer:
• A South African subsidiary maybe regarded as a representative employer if the salary costs are on-charged to it; or
• A South African branch of a company incorporated and effectively managed abroad may not be a representative employer in the technical sense, as it is not a South African resident. However, SARS may well view it as a representative employer if the branch is registered with SARS as an employer on the grounds that it employs local staff.

An employer who fails to deduct employee’s tax and pay it within the prescribed period can be liable, on conviction, to a fine, or imprisonment, or both. In addition, interest at the prescribed rate, as well as penalties, may be imposed in respect of the late payment of any outstanding employees' tax. In certain circumstances, additional tax may also be levied.

Expatriates should note that their tax liability is distinct from the employer's liability to withhold tax. The expatriate’s tax liability in South Africa exists regardless of whether or not the non-resident employer is obliged to deduct tax.

Source: By Elzahne Henn (Taxbreaks)



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal