Print Page
News & Press: TaxTalk Business

Letting your kids use your old computer isn't so innocent - it comes with Vat implications!

Wednesday, 25 June 2014   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: Simangele Mzizi
Share |

Author: Simangele Mzizi (FSP Business)

Let's say, you're a sole trader and you work from home. You decide to buy a new computer and you give the old one to your children to play games on.

Sounds innocent enough. But did you know doing this comes with VAT consequences!

If you take or use goods from your VAT-registered business for your own use, or 'self supply', you need to make an output tax calculation and pay the VAT over to SARS!

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to use goods from your business, take these three steps to account for VAT.

If we use the above example of a sole trader who gives his children his old computer, the implications are that he must determine the market value of the old computer, apply the 14/114 tax fraction to it and declare the output tax amount on his VAT return according to the below steps:

Step #1: Determine the market value of the business stock you're appropriating for your own personal use.

Step #2: Apply the tax fraction (14/114) to this market value. This will give you the amount of output tax you owe SARS for taking this stock out of your business for your personal use.

Step #3: Enter the specifics of the calculation you've made and the resulting amount of output tax you'll pay to SARS in blocks 10 and 11 of your VAT return.

Important: You must keep your notes or papers to prove to SARS that you've declared output tax on private use.

There you have it. If you take or use goods from your VAT-registered business, you must account for VAT. So don't invite penalties and interest for failing to declare and pay output tax!



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal