Print Page
News & Press: SARS operational & eFiling questions

How to apply to SARS for a suspension of payment

Monday, 10 November 2014   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: I can't find any guides or forms regarding the suspension of payment. Does one submit a letter to the local branch?

A: Section 164(2) of the Tax Administration Act provides that a "taxpayer may request a senior SARS official to suspend the payment of tax or a portion thereof due under an assessment if the taxpayer intends to dispute or disputes the liability to pay that tax”, but it provides no further detail.  

Paragraph 10.6.1 of the SARS short guide to the Act states the following:

The suspension of payment of disputed tax is not an automatic right and a taxpayer must apply for the suspension in the form and manner prescribed by SARS.

In view of the fact that the due date for the payment of tax under an assessment is normally before the due date for lodging an objection and to cater for pre-objection requests for reasons, a suspension request may be made before an objection is lodged.  

There is no prescribed form at the moment and you are right that the request is made in writing to the branch.  One can also make use of the practitioner email facility (pcc@). 

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal