Print Page
News & Press: SARS operational & eFiling questions

Information needed by SARS to confirm a registered representative

Tuesday, 09 December 2014   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: We have a client overseas that needs to go and see SARS. Obviously he can't, because he isn't in the country. What do we need to give SARS to activate authorised taxpayer representative on efiling? And also to go to SARS on his behalf.

A: From the facts provided it doesn’t appear that you are the representative taxpayer for the client.  We don’t know why the client needs to go and see SARS.  According to the SARS website (at the following is necessary to confirm a registered representative.  

  • A valid original and/or a certified copy of a temporary identity document/passport/driver’s licence for the registered representative
  • Copy of proof of residential address of the registered representative
  • Official letter of appointment as registered representative
  • Letter of incorporation, founding documents etc
  • Power of Attorney, only on the first visit. Once registered on the SARS system, a power of attorney will not be required.

Note: If more than one registered representative is recorded / listed, for registration at SARS one person must be nominated as the "official” representative to be updated on the system.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal