Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Should VAT be charged on chartered flights from RSA to another country?

Tuesday, 20 January 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: I have a client who does charter flights to disaster areas on behalf of the SA government, therefore he invoices the government.  He charters the plane from an international company and pays them in dollars, and they do not charge him any VAT. Now he has been told by the charter company that he does not need to charge the government  VAT as it is international flights. I do not agree as the client resides is SA and the services originates in SA. Please can you confirm this for me?

A: With regards to the query you did not state that the disaster areas are in an export country (i.e. outside SA) but we have assumed so. The transport of passengers by air to or from a place in South Africa to an export country is a taxable supply subject to VAT at the zero rate in terms of section 11(2)(a) VAT Act. It therefore does not matter that the flights originate or end in SA. However even the transport of passengers by air from a place in SA to another place in SA will be subject to VAT at the zero rate if it constitutes "international carriage" as defined in article 1 of the Convention set out in the Carriage by Air Act 17 of 1946 (section 11(2)(b) VAT Act).

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal