Print Page
News & Press: SARS operational & eFiling questions

What supporting documentation can be used as proof of address for a VAT registration?

Thursday, 12 February 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: I need clarity on the proof of address for a business and the proof of address for a representative vendor. SARS say they only accept municipal accounts, Telkom phone accounts or lease agreements. 

A: According SARS’ guide on the completion of VAT registration forms at 5.7.1. It lists the below as suitable confirmation of address: 

Confirmation of Business Address:

  • Recent copy of the business municipal account; or utility bill; or CRA01 form, not older than 3 months. 

Confirmation of Residential Address: 

  • Recent copy of the residential municipal account; or utility bill, or CRA01 form of individual, partner or representative vendor, not older than 3 months. 

Click on below link to view the SARS guide for completion of VAT registration application.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal