Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Is it possible to transfer VAT number from a sole proprietor to a personal liability company?

Monday, 16 February 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: We need assistance with a client who was a sole proprietor and VAT vendor. He then registered a personal liability company in which he trades now. Can we transfer the VAT number from the sole proprietor to the company? Can you please shed some light on this for us and the steps needed to be taken.

A: The company is a new "person” for VAT purposes and it is our opinion that the VAT Act does not provide for the transfer of a VAT number from one person to another. The company would have to do a new registration and as the sole proprietor will be conducting the enterprise in the company, he may have to deregister for VAT once the business has been transferred to the company, which subject to meeting all the requirements could be done as a going concern.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal