Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

How do I calculate the provisional tax payable from royalty income?

Tuesday, 24 February 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: I have a client who is a permanent SA resident and has received a royalty from a book she wrote.  No tax has been deducted from this royalty. Now we would like to pay provisional tax on this royalty.  What percentage must we pay to SARS and how do we show this on her provisional tax form, bearing  in mind that she also gets a pension?

A: Royalties payable to a SA resident constitute gross income and will be fully taxable, unlike royalties payable to a non-resident by an SA resident, which is subject to a fixed percentage withholding tax (which is a final tax). In respect of the provisional tax estimate, you would in our view have to determine the "profit” (i.e. taxable income), therefore should there be any tax deductible revenue expenditure against the royalty income this must be taken into account. 

You would then proceed to calculate the normal tax liability in the usual way.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal