Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Is the disposal of a motor vehicle subject to capital gains tax?

Monday, 02 March 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: A client disposed of several motor vehicles. The vehicles were thus not trading stock. When I am completing the ITR14, one question is whether there was there a capital gain or loss in the financial year. My question is does the disposal of motor vehicles result in CGT? 

A: The base cost of an asset must be reduced by an allowance claimed (e.g. s11(e) ITA wear& tear) per para 20(3)(a) Eighth Schedule of the Income Tax Act (ITA). On disposal of the asset the amount recouped on sale (i.e. exceeds base cost) must be reduced from base cost unless it was included in income in terms of section 8(4)(a) of the ITA. The recouped amount will also not form part of proceeds on disposal if included in income.

For example, a car purchased for R100, is kept for 2 years and R40 wear& tear claimed (i.e. base cost is now R100-R40 ito para 20(3)(a)). It is sold for R70 proceeds. A recoupment of R10 will be included income as an amount recovered of a previous allowance (i.e. amount in excess of base cost) in terms of section 8(4)(a) of the ITA. R10 will then also be deducted off the proceeds which makes the proceeds R60 which is the same as the base cost resulting in no capital gain. If the car had been sold for R110, then R40 would be a taxable recoupment and the proceeds would be reduced by R40. Therefore a capital gain of R10 would be realised (R70 proceeds – R60 base cost).

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal