Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Are fuel re-imbursement expenses paid to a member of CC subject to PAYE?

Thursday, 19 March 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: When a member of a CC is reimbursed for the actual fuel expenses incurred on a monthly basis, will the re-imbursement be subject to PAYE? The member submits his actual fuel slips & 75% of the actual expense (fuel slips) is paid to him by the CC as a re- imbursement of the fuel expense incurred. He uses his own vehicle in his own name for company purposes, no travel logbook is kept.

A: Section 8(1)(a)(ii) ITA excludes from allowances any reimbursement that was wholly used for the purposes of the employer’s trade and for which the employee had to provide proof that it was so wholly incurred for business purposes. In such instances no PAYE applies. Where the petrol was not used for a single business trip or included private travel that the employee cannot prove that to the employer it must be treated as a travel allowance and subjected to PAYE.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal