Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Must landlords supply tenants with IT3(b)’s for interest on rental deposits?

Wednesday, 17 June 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: I understand that as from February 2015 SARS require landlords to supply tenants with IT3(b) certificates for interest paid on rental deposits. Are you able to confirm that this is correct?

If so, what is the correct procedure/process?

A: You mention ‘as from February 2015’ – please note that this not a new requirement.  What changed was that, in terms of the public notice issued on 5 April 2013, the returns of information to must be submitted by third parties in terms of section 26 of the Act:

2.10 Any person, who for their own account carries on the business as an estate agent as defined in the Estate Agency Affairs Act, 1976, and who pays to, or receives on behalf of, a third party, any amount in respect of an investment, interest or the rental of property; and

2.11 Any person, who for their own account practices as an attorney as defined in section 1 of the Attorneys Act, 1979, and who pays to or receives on behalf of a third party any amount in respect of an investment, interest or the rental of property. 

If the landlord is not one of the parties listed it is not necessary to file the return – see also the SARS guide at

Section 69 of the Income Tax Act that required that IT3(b)'s be issued.  It was then deleted by the Tax Administration Act.  Section 26 of the Tax Administration Act provides that "the Commissioner may by public notice require a person who employs, pays amounts to, receives amounts on behalf of or otherwise transacts with another person, or has control over assets of another person, to submit a return with the required information in the prescribed form and manner and by the date specified in the notice.”

This doesn’t include the landlord; the notice is also limited to the person who receives amounts on behalf of another person.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal