Print Page
News & Press: Technical & tax law questions

Is rental income from Canada earned by an SA tax resident in taxable in RSA?

Tuesday, 30 June 2015   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Author: SAIT Technical
Share |

Author: SAIT Technical

Q: Is the net income (rental income minus expenses) from a flat in Canada taxable in South Africa?

My client has a flat in Canada which he rents out. The rental income is paid in his Canadian account. There is no tax deduction on the income in Canada.

A: The matter is dealt with in Article 6 of the RSA / Canada treaty.  We accept that with "SA citizen” you mean that the individual is ordinarily resident in South Africa. 

In terms of Article 6.1 "income derived by a resident of a Contracting State (your client who is a resident of the RSA) from immovable property (including income from agriculture or forestry) situated in the other Contracting State (in Canada in this instance) may be taxed in that other State (Canada).” Article 6.3 provides that "the provisions of paragraph 1 shall apply to income derived from the direct use, letting or use in any other form of immovable property and to income from the alienation of such property.”

From the above it is clear that both countries have a right to tax the income - the RSA based on the definition of gross income.  If tax is payable in both countries a rebate will be available (in terms of section 6quat in the RSA) to the taxpayer. 

We can’t comment on the tax or rebates in Canada.  The fact that "there is no tax deduction on the Income in Canada” is irrelevant as there is normally no withholding tax on rental income.  You also stated that the money is not being repatriated to the RSA which may be another reason.  

Disclaimer: Nothing in this query and answer should be construed as constituting tax advice or a tax opinion. An expert should be consulted for advice based on the facts and circumstances of each transaction/case. Even though great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the answer, SAIT do not accept any responsibility for consequences of decisions taken based on this query and answer. It remains your own responsibility to consult the relevant primary resources when taking a decision.



Section 240A of the Tax Administration Act, 2011 (as amended) requires that all tax practitioners register with a recognized controlling body before 1 July 2013. It is a criminal offense to not register with both a recognized controlling body and SARS.

  • Tax Practitioner Registration Requirements & FAQ's
  • Rate Our Service

    Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal